Chicken soup has always been known as a remedy for colds, but recently it has been associated with weight loss as well. Over a period of 8 days, you will be allowed one breakfast and an unlimited amount of chicken soup. While no research body has actually verified if it helps shed off pounds, it does stand up to common sense: it’s low fat, contains a lot of nutrients, and since it’s mostly liquid, keeps you feeling full after only a small amount.
Recipe for Chicken Soup (approximately 26 servings)
- 2 Tbs. oil, best if you use olive oil
- 4 parsnips cut into 1/2 inch pieces (this is about 1 lb. of parsnips)
- 4 ribs celery sliced
- 1 turnip cut into 1/2 inch pieces (3/4 of a pound)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbs. chopped garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 16 cups reduced fat, low sodium, chicken broth
- 7 cans (5 oz. each) of chicken, or 5 cups (1 1/2 lbs) fresh chicken (cooked)
- 1 bag (16 oz.) frozen carrots
- 1 box (10 oz.) frozen broccoli florets
- 1 box (10 oz.) frozen chopped collard greens
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped onions
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill or 1 tbs dried dill.
Using a large pot, heat the oil over a medium head. Add the parsnips, celery, turnip, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook all the vegetables until they are crisp-tender (approximately 15 minutes). Add the broth, chicken, carrots, broccoli, collard greens, onions, lemon juice and dill. Brink it to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Aside from the chicken soup, you are allowed to choose one of the following menus for breakfast. You can repeat them as often as you like, although variety is encouraged for nutritional balance.
- Breakfast 1: 1 cup vanilla nonfat yogurt, 1/2 cup chopped fruit salad, sprinkled with wheat germ.
- Breakfast 2: I cup ricotta cheese with 1/2 tsp. of sugar and a dash of cinnamon, 2 pieces white-grain bread (toasted) and 3 dried figs
- Breakfast 3: 1 and 1/2 cups Total cereal, 1/2 cup nonfat milk, and 1/2 cup calcium enriched orange juice
- Breakfast 4: 1/2 cup prune juice, 1 small whole-wheat bagel topped with 1 oz of fat-free cheddar cheese (melted)
- Breakfast 5: 1 1/2 cups cooked Wheatena Cereal, 1/2 cup non-fat milk